This private tour focuses on the importance of Ostia during the Roman empire. Ostia Antica is a large archeological site, close to the modern suburb of Ostia (Rome). “Ostia” in Latin means “mouth”, indeed the city is located at the mouth of the River Tiber. It is located approximately 30 km in the northeast, and in ancient times it used to be the harbor of ancient Rome. How we said before, Ostia Antica was Rome’s seaport, but due to silting and a drop in sea level, the site now lies 3 km far from the sea.The site is noted for the excellent preservation of its ancient buildings, magnificent frescoes and impressive mosaics.
Ostia Antica is a large archeological site, close to the modern suburb of Ostia (Rome). At the mouth of the River Tiber, Ostia was Rome’s seaport. It is noted for the excellent preservation of its ancient buildings, magnificent frescoes and impressive mosaics.
As regards as its history, Ostia may have been Rome’s first colonia. An inscription says that Ostia was founded by Ancus Marcius, the semi-legendary fourth king of Rome, in the 7th century BC. The oldest archaeological remains so far discovered, date back to the 4th century BC. The most ancient buildings currently visible are from the 3rd century BC, notably the Castrum (military camp) and the Capitolium (temple of Jupiter, Juno and Minerva) that is subsequent to the former. The opus quadratum technique used to build the walls of the original Castrum at Ostia, provides important evidence for the building techniques that were employed in Roman urbanization during the period of the Middle Republic.
- Half-day morning tour to Ostia from Rome
- Explore the well-maintained ruins of Rome’s former port city
- Offers an uncrowded experience of ancient Rome in miniature
- Exhibits at the Ostia museum
- Pickup from centrally located Rome hotels
What to Expect
Head out of Rome toward the sea on this educational and entertaining half-day morning tour of Ostia, the ancient Roman ruins that lay just outside of the city. Ostia was once a flourishing port and business center until it was eventually abandoned after the barbarian invasions. Stroll around these well-preserved ruins with your guide learning about what daily life was like here 1,400 years ago.
Begin at the Via della Tombe heading toward one of the three gates to Ostia Antica (ancient Ostia), Porta Romana. Stroll down Decumanus Maximus, the central thoroughfare that goes across Ostia. From there arrive at Terme di Nettuno, where you’ll see intricate mosaics representing Neptune and Amphitrite. The oldest archeological remains that have been discovered are from the third or fourth century B.C.. Learn about the history of the place from your knowledgeable guide and seek out some of the oldest ruins there.
See the ruins of theaters and public baths, forums and former residences. Near the Forum square you will also find the House of Diana and the Thermopolium, an ancient Roman bar with a marble counter and a fresco depicting the fruit and foodstuffs that were sold there.At the end of Via dei Dipinti, a museum displays some of the ancient sculptures unearthed at Ostia.
After a while, head back to the Eternal City having seen a historic swath of ruins that are hard to come by in Rome.
- Pick up a the Hotel, &, Apartment… at 8:00 am
- Transfer to the Ancient Ostia takes 1 hour from Rome
- Visit of the Ruins
- Back to the Hotel in the afternoon
- Service Lenght 6 hours (Approx.)
- Admission Tickets not included
- Closed every monday and 1st of January, 1st of May and December 25th
- We suggest what to see, but you decide.
- We can plan and customize together all the different opportunities and itineraries.
- You will have at your disposal a Driver Guide and an Official Tour Guide , who will take you on this Rome Day Tour to discover what you have chosen to see.
Our tours are flexible and completely focused on your needs and desires.
- Driver Guide Service
- Official Tour Guide
- From 1 to 4 passengers €249,00 “Sedan”
- From 5 to 6 passengers €299,00 “Minivan”
- From 7 to 8 passengers €349,00 “Minivan”
Special price for couple. Ask us today!