Halfway between Lazio and Tuscany we can find Orvieto, a little town of Umbria. While the part of the city on the surface has changed over time, the original subterranean structure has remained mostly intact. The guided tour of “Orvieto Underground” is therefore, the most suitable tool to get in touch with this very characteristic feature of the city, extremely wealthy in history and boasting very remarkable artistic “jewels”. Step by step, mysterious and fascinating echoes tell us about Etruscan age, while phantoms of the Middle ages and of the Renaissance era appear out of the damp shadows.
The beautiful Orvieto’s Cathedral facade is among the best in the world
as regard as decoration and its interior part, painted by Luca Signorelli. It was source of inspiration even for masters as Michelangelo. Michelangelo infact before starting to paint Sistine Chapel, went to Orvieto to admire how Luca Signorelli painted Heaven and Hell into the Cathedral. (entry fees cost: 7 Euros per person).
For lunch, the Foresi Cantina will offer you a great wine tasting and local products like truffles and porcini mushrooms, cheese, bruschetta and a homemade sauce. Another attraction is Giacomini Porcelain and Ceramics store with its rich variety of handmade vases, dishes and potteries handcrafted by the Giacomini Family for 100 years.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
What to Expect
After a morning hotel pickup in Rome, travel approximately 75 minutes north to the town of Orvieto, located on the flat summit of a large butte of volcanic tuff. Explore this gem of gothic architecture with more than 3,000 years of history. Roam its underground tunnels and passageways with a private guide and see some of its most popular sites, like the Pozzo di San Patrizio — or St. Patrick Well — built by architect-engineer Antonio da Sangallo.
Following a delicious lunch (own expense) and a glass of local wine (if desired), travel to the almost ghost town of Civita di Bagnoregio, accessible only by a foot bridge. Wander the narrow streets, where time has stood still for the past several hundred years and learn about the unique history of this fascination region. The English-speaking driver/guide will lead the tour and highlight various points of interest, returning to Rome at the end of the day.
The total time of the tour is approximately nine hours.
- Start at 8:00 AM from your location (Hotel, B&B, Apartment, etc.) in Rome
- Arrival in Orvieto at 10:00 AM
- Visit the Duomo
- Visit the underground city at 11:00 AM
- Lunch and wine tasting in Orvieto
- Driving to Civita di Bagnoregio
- Back to Rome at 5:00 PM
- Arrival in Rome around 7:00 PM
Entry fees and Lunch are not included. To be paid separately
- We suggest what to see, but you decide.
- We can plan and customize together all the different opportunities and itineraries.
- You will have at your disposal a Driver Guide , who will take you on this Rome Day Tour to discover what you have chosen to see.
Our tours are flexible and completely focused on your needs and desires.
- Driver Guide Service
- From 1 to 4 passengers €399,00 “Sedan”
- From 5 to 6 passengers €449,00 “Minivan”
- From 7 to 8 passengers €499,00 “Minivan”
Special price for couple. Ask us today!