Situated on a hill surrounded by olives and cypresses trees. Known all over the world for St. Francis and his Basilica that is the main step of our tour.
You will also appreciate the original frescoes of Giotto and Cimabue
and discover the old-fashioned chapels hidden along narrow streets and filled with artisans, shops and art galleries. Then we will move to Orvieto to discover its cultural and artistic beauty, where many visitors have enjoyed the local culinary specialties accompanied by Orvieto Bianco, one of the best Umbrian wines.
- Day trip from Rome to Assisi and Orvieto
- See the breathtakingly beautiful Orvieto Cathedral
- Enjoy lunch at a restaurant on the shores of Lake Trasimeno
- Spend your afternoon in the UNESCO World Heritage-listed town of Assisi in Umbria
- Explore Basilica di San Francesco and the Convent of Santa Chiara
- Stop in the town of Santa Maria degli Angeli to see a 9th-century basilica where St Francis of Assisi worshipped
What to Expect
Your day trip from Rome to Orvieto and Assisi starts as you leave the city by luxury minivan, heading north along the River Tiber toward the region of Umbria, a picturesque piece of central Italy that neighbors Tuscany. After an approximate 1.5-hour drive, arrive in Orvieto, a hill town that seems to rise dramatically out of the volcanic rock it’s perched on and is known for its long history dating back to the Etruscans.
Explore town on foot, enjoying the Italian charm and passing by many churches, particularly Orvieto Cathedral, a Gothic structure that dates back to the late 1200s and is noted for its stained glass, sculptures and mosaics.
Back on your minivan, continue across the rolling landscapes toward Lake Trasimeno, where you’ll stop for lunch. Then head to Assisi, a World Heritage–listed town famed for being the birthplace of St Francis of Assisi, a patron saint of Italy and one of the most legendary figures in religious history.
Take a walking tour of town to see sites related to St Francis’ life, including the stall where he is thought to have been born, his former home and the place where he vowed to dedicate his life to the church. You’ll also learn about Assisi’s other hometown saint, St Clare, one of St Francis’ followers. Visit both the Convent of Santa Chiara, named for her, and the Basilica di San Francesco, dedicated to St Francis, plus see other Assisi sights like Piazza del Comune, Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo, the town hall and the Roman Temple of Minerva.
Return to your minivan to start the drive from Assisi to Rome, stopping on the way in Santa Maria degli Angeli to visit its 9th-century basilica where St Francis is said to have worshipped. Your day trip ends when you arrive back in Rome.
- Start at 7:30 AM from your location in Rome (Hotel, B&B, Apartment, etc.)
- Arrival in Assisi at 10:30 a.m.
- Visit the city till 12:00 p.m.
- Stop for lunch in Assisi
- Drive to Orvieto and visit the town
- Back to Rome at 5:00 PM
- Arrival in Rome around 7:00 PM
Entry fees and Lunch are not included. To be paid separatel
- We suggest what to see, but you decide.
- We can plan and customize together all the different opportunities and itineraries.
- You will have at your disposal a Driver Guide, who will take you on this Rome Day Tour to discover what you have chosen to see.
Our tours are flexible and completely focused on your needs and desires.
- Driver Guide Service
- Official Tour Guide
- From 1 to 4 passengers €399,00 “Sedan”
- From 5 to 6 passengers €449,00 “Minivan”
- From 7 to 8 passengers €499,00 “Minivan”
Special price for couple. Ask us today!